Why join HRBMP?
Back in the early 80’s, a handful of local journalists came together with common goals: Increase newsroom diversity, push for greater content coverage of the minority community, and advocate for better jobs and promotions for minority journalists.
We discovered that together we were a force to be reckoned with, we could speak truth to power. We created Tidewater Media Professionals which was later renamed “Hampton Roads Black Media Professionals.”
Not only did we create a Chapter that made things happen in local newsrooms, we raised thousands of dollars in scholarship money to grow the next generation of Journalists. We also provided professional development to our working chapter members.
Along the way we also helped educate newsroom managers on how vital diversity is to not only the community they serve, but it’s good business.
In 2019, HRBMP can celebrate many accomplishments since that day the chapter was created around a kitchen table, the mission of diversity in content, newsrooms, and advocacy is more important than ever.
Join us today!
Membership has its privileges!
- Access to a professional community with a shared history and purpose
- Professional development programs
- Peer review of resumes
- Job Interview Prep Session (via phone/skype/facetime/video conferencing)
- An on-line marketplace to promote your service/business/event and advertise/sell HRBMP member-produced items such as books and CDs
- Opportunity to sell HRBMP member-produced items during HRBMP-sponsored events as appropriate
- “Pay it Forward” program that provides limited resources to students and unemployed HRBMP journalists preparing for a job interview; limited resources may include gas money to get to the interview, finances for dry cleaning or hair care, etc.
- Membership in a respected organization that is making a difference in our career field and community
Networking … Networking … Networking!